Sunday, June 3, 2012

Project: Human Hand


For this project my goal was to model a human hand. I began this project by setting up my image plane by selecting the view I wanted to set the image in, and then adjusted the width of it in the attributes menu. I then started my hand from a single cube and began by shaping the square into the shape of the palm. From there I added edged loops to palm for the fingers and then an edge loop that ran across the “height” of my cube. This was because I wanted to scale the center section of the palm out to create the webbing needed for the palm and fingers. I then extruded out sections on the front of my palm, to create “finger cups” to further extent the webbing and to create place holders for the fingers. I then deleted the back faces on the wrist side, and deleted the faces within each cup to create something that resembled a fingerless glove.  From there, I extruded the edge loop on the wrist out to the arm on the ref picture and then began construction on my fingers. I made the fingers by using a cylinder. First I set the total number of subdivision on my cylinder to the total number of vertices on my “finger cups”.



 I than began using the vertices of the cylinder to fit in the form of the hand by turning on shading in one of the view windows. That way I could see through the shape and fit the shape of my primitive to the form of the model’s finger.  I also went back and added in 3 edge loops around the wrinkles in the model’s fingers, and then I dented in the vertexes on the center ring to make a wrinkle. I grabbed the faces on top of the end of the finger and extruded inward to make a nail indenture.



 I went on to duplicate the finger over and over again, and re-sized the duplicate to the shape of each finger. I then attached the fingers to the palm by bridging the edges to each other, and then deleted the extra unneeded edges that were generated. I made the nails by extracting the inside wall of the finger shaping the small sheet generated to the finger, and then duplicated in order and fit them duplicates to each finger. I also went back more than a few times to add more details to the hand, such as the bone protrusions on the top of the hand. 



No comments:

Post a Comment